If you are interested in receiving them, please sign up right HERE.
Newsletter September 2014
Newsletter August 2014
Newsletter June 2014
Newsletter April 25, 2014
Up Coming Event!
The Victorian Tea Party was a huge success!
The Victorian Tea held on April 5 was a spectacular success! It was a sell-out event! Thank you to everyone who made this tea party such a special day! We were able to net over $12,000.00 to put toward the purchase of our property! A special thank you to coordinator Judith Kuhn, and to the Club Chapters and their leaders: Shannon Johnson-Dull, Ruth Tolle, Stephanie Eggert, Janet Stivers, Lindsey Calvillo, Crystal Van Dye, Cathy Iseman, LuWan Duma, Judy Wait, Carmen Bettencourt and all the wonderful members of the Friends of the Children’s Storybook Garden & Museum. Thank you to our generous sponsors: Rabo Bank, Forsythe Insurance, and Spinal Technologies.
Capital Campaign Kick Off!
“Friends~ they are kind to each other’s HOPES,
They cherish each other’s DREAMS. “ Thoreau
Our capital campaign will officially “kick off” on Tuesday, May 6, 2014!
We will be setting up appointments to share our plan and to “sell the gardens”. On May 6th our website will “officially” publish the cost of each of the gardens and also the naming rights for the entire garden ($250,000. 00). “Purchasing” a garden as a memorial or celebration for a loved one is a lasting gift that expresses love to the loved one but also love of our community for years to come. In addition to the gardens we offer commemorative bricks at $50.00 each, large pavers with encouraging verses engraved are $500.00. Tree sponsorship is $200.00 and already nearly sold out! Our “Fund a Fence for Fifty” ($50.00 a foot) is another way to remember someone and to help the garden get our permanent fence. You may notify us if you want to “purchase the naming right” to any of the gardens or museum on our website, or you could call 559-341-4845 for more information or to set up an appointment to meet with us.
Speaking of Meetings: Everyone is welcome to attend our Board of Directors Meetings. We meet at the Comfort Inn on the third Thursday of the month at 3:00 PM. Our next meeting is May 15, 2014.
We Love Volunteers!
And do not want anyone to miss out on this wonderful opportunity to help create the Children’s Storybook Garden & Museum. Please send your information from our website www.childrensstorybookgarden.org or phone 559 341-4845.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.”
Newsletter January 2014
“Here’s the Dirt!”
Our second annual fundraising dinner and auctions, held November 1, 2013 in Hanford at the Civic Auditorium:
Total income: $36,009.00
Net income: $23,976.92
With the money netted, we were able to make a partial payment on the garden property! The rest of the payment is due in June after two more fundraisers.
While we had a lot of competition for selling tickets, we still did pretty well for only our second year event! Thank you to our amazing CSG&M Team, the Hanford Garden Club, and all the volunteers and everyone who supported our event by purchasing tickets, buying ads, and making donations of auction items, cash and tons of things we needed! Thank you to David Macedo of the Tulare Sales Yard, once again, and his son, David Jr. for making the auction so much fun and profitable! We thank the amazing Heather Krane and her accompanist, Jean Hwang, and Nicholas Miller, for the outstanding performance!
Highlights of the Year: 2013
* Holding our first “Summer Evening Under the Stars” Jazz, Wine and Home Tour at the gorgeous home of Jon Lavario and Tom Costa. It was a great evening and the hors d’ oeuvres by Carmen Bettencourt were to die for! Thank you Jon and Tom, Carmen and Family, Nereida Heath and Malibu Friends for making this happen!
* Judith Kuhn and friends started the Friends of the Children’s Storybook Garden & Museum. This group’s mission is to help support the property payments by putting on a yearly fundraising tea party and “gifts”, that promises to be an “over the top” yearly experience! Fun and gorgeous… April 5th at the Civic Auditorium.
* Adding 7 new members to our Board of Directors bringing the Board to 15 members: Ardith Barnhill, Barbara Evans, Kate Catalina, Jeannie Williams, Lupe Wong, Fran O'Brien, and Janet Stivers. Two of these new Board Members were Founding Members: Kate Catalina and Janet Stivers.
* Having the support of our local talented artists, lead by Judith Campanaro, who each designed and painted seven artistic and gorgeous children’s chairs (that sold like crazy) for our Nov. 1 auction. They were amazing! The artists are: Theresa Baldwin, Trish O’Halloran, Chris Gould, Hallie Lauritzen, Susie and Glen Gonzales, Susanne Huddleston and of course, Judith.
* Thanks to all our supporters who so generously help us and trust us to MAKE THIS GARDEN GROW for all our children and families!
Our Calendar of Upcoming Events
* April 5, 2014
Victorian Tea and tickets for drawings for amazing prizes, April 5, Civic Auditorium doors open at 1:00 High Tea begins at 2:30. Tickets are $35.00.
Please contact us for tickets.
* May 3, 2014
Run for the Roses, Derby Day
This amazing new event to Kings County will be like nothing you have ever attended, unless of course, you’ve been to the Kentucky Derby Days. Tickets prices vary, See Derby Day page.
* August 16, 2014
“ Summer Evening Under the Stars” Save the Date!
* We are saddened to tell you that our dear friend of the garden and museum, Joe Gilbuena , passed away in December. Our heartfelt sympathy goes to his family. Joe was a huge supporter of the CSG&M and he will be greatly missed.
* If you or someone you know would like to join our group of volunteers, please Contact Us.
* While our garden property is resting for the winter, John Zumwalt is finishing the grading plan, Rose Radmacher is working on the plans for the entry garden, we are meeting to plan our fundraisers, update our bylaws, update our website, seek donors and in-kind donors, meet to establish our book selections, develop curriculum, events, parties, celebrations, design programs, and get the infrastructure going on the property. We are excited to know that you are keeping us in mind with volunteering and helping as you are able.
“ Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”